Connecting Kids with Special Needs to Technology
Computer Kids aims to bridge the technology gap for school age children with a disability. Working with school professionals, UCP of Nebraska will provide computers and the necessary adaptations to children who do not have the technology in their homes.
Computer Kids provides refurbished computers with the necessary adaptations to children with special needs. Each computer will be equipped with the hardware and software necessary to meet the needs of the child. The computers will be installed in the home and instruction on how to use the computers will be provided.
Computer Kids can also provide adaptive hardware or software for qualifying children who already have computers without the necessary adaptations. These adaptations can be provided free of charge.
What does Computer Kids Provide?
- CPU (computer)
- Adaptations as needed
- Installation of computer/software/hardware
Who can apply?
Any child with a disability who has a current IEP and qualifies under our financial need guidelines may apply. Qualifying children who already have a computer can only apply for the adaptations. If the child is home schooled we will work with the parents to provide the appropriate computer and adaptations. Applicants must complete an application form.
Computer Kids accepts donations from individuals and companies. Guidelines for donations are as follows:
- IBM compatible (Pentium 3 or newer with minimum 266 MHz)
- Macintosh computers (Power Macs 6300 or newer)
- Computers need to have a CD Rom
- Everything must be in good working order (including peripherals).
- The hard drive must be wiped clean of any confidential or private files along with any passwords used to access programs.
- If available, the operating system (OS) license or proof of purchase of license, video and sound card.
- Software left on the hard drive needs to have the CD/Floppy disk included in the donation.
Computer Kids is made possible by a grant from the David Scott Foundation and in collaboration with TECH Connectors.
For more information about Computer Kids, please contact UCP at (402) 502-3572 or send an e-mail.